Surfrider Canada has teamed up with the Marine Debris Tracker App to make it easier than ever to log your beach clean data!
We can’t clean our way out of the plastic pollution crisis, but recording data about the debris we find is the first step towards tackling this issue at the source; not only do we get a sense of which items are the biggest offenders, we amass compelling evidence as we advocate for systems change.
Ready to get tracking?
Download the app then follow our step-by-step guide below!
Marine Debris Tracker App
1. Download the app onto your device.
2. Open the app and press “Start Tracking”
3. Select the “Surfrider Canada” list.
4. Click the turtle icon and create a profile.
5. Use the categories to find items then select the quantity by using the up/down arrows or typing directly into the number field. Click “Add” to save your data!
6. The white triangle in the bottom right will take you back to the top to find your next item.
7. Once you have finished collecting, click the yellow triangle in the top right to submit your findings. No internet? No problem! Click “Save Session” to submit when you’re back in WiFi range.
Within minutes your data will be available at https://debristracker.org/data! Check out our and others’ citizen science projects. Track your cleanups and make it count!
Please note, during the COVID-19 pandemic extra precautions should be taken when participating in a socially distant beach clean. Check out this blog post for more info.